This year, an online-only WWDC brought mostly additive changes to the Apple developer ecosystem, and Google I/O was cancelled outright. That’s probably left you and other developers wondering: “Will raywenderlich.com be updating its iOS and Android books?”
The answer is — yes!
We know many of you are still working and learning from home, so for that reason, we’re committed to bringing you the most up-to-date content as you continue to grow your skills and engage with the development community. Our book teams are hard at work updating our books, as well as writing brand new titles to add to your bookshelf.
Keep reading to find out the full details on which books will be updated in the coming months, as well as some exciting new titles we’re looking forward to sharing with you!
Which Books Will Be Updated?
In previous years, we’ve updated all books all at once in the Fall, but that’s left you waiting a full year for new content. Starting this year, instead of overloading you with a deluge of updates all at once, you can expect a steady selection of updated and fresh book content each month!
Starting this fall, you can expect the following books to be updated:
Android and Kotlin
Start growing your Android app development skills with our collection of Android books! We’ll be updating these books for the latest versions of Android and Kotlin:
- Advanced Android App Architecture
- Android Apprentice
- Android Test-Driven Development
- Data Structures & Algorithms in Swift
- Kotlin Apprentice
- Kotlin Coroutines by Tutorials
- Reactive Programming with Kotlin
- Saving Data on Android
iOS and Swift
Brush up on your iOS fundamentals, deep dive into the latest topics such as SwiftUI, Combine and Catalyst, or continue honing important skills like testing, data management and debugging with our comprehensive collection of iOS books. We’ll be updating the following books to the latest versions of iOS, Swift and Xcode:
- Advanced Apple Debugging & Reverse Engineering
- Advanced iOS App Architecture
- Auto Layout by Tutorials
- Catalyst by Tutorials
- Combine: Asynchronous Programming with Swift
- Concurrency by Tutorials
- Core Data by Tutorials
- Data Structures & Algorithms in Swift
- Design Patterns by Tutorials
- iOS Animations by Tutorials
- iOS Test-Driven Development
- Machine Learning by Tutorials
- Metal by Tutorials
- Push Notifications by Tutorials
- Reactive Programming with Swift
- Swift Apprentice
- Advanced SwiftUI (formerly SwiftUI by Tutorials)
- UIKit Apprentice (formerly iOS Apprentice)
Our two best cross-platform books will also see updates in the next year, helping you solve your pesky Git issues, as well as giving you insight from the top industry leaders:
- Mastering Git
- Living by the Code
As always, these updates will be 100% free for existing digital edition customers. We’ll email you to keep you updated as we release new editions of these books!
What Aren’t We Updating?
Here are the books we aren’t planning on updating:
- ARKit by Tutorials: Don’t worry! We’ve still got your ARKit needs covered — and more! We’ve deprecated ARKit by Tutorials for a brand new book, Apple Augmented Reality by Tutorials, which covers ARKit, plus great new features including Reality Composer and RealityKit!
- Server-Side Swift with Kitura: In 2019, IBM announced it had no further plans to develop the Kitura framework. We’ve decided to follow suit, and focus on teaching you server-side concepts using other frameworks, such as Vapor.
- Realm: Building Modern Swift Apps with Realm Database: As the Realm database updates on a schedule independent of iOS and Swift, we’ll keep you posted of our plans to update this book as we know more.
- Unity Games by Tutorials: The Unity platform is an ever-changing beast, so we’ve decided to deprecate this version of the book and will let you know as we start to build out new Unity content. Stay tuned!
- Unity AR/VR by Tutorials: The AR/VR space is also ever-changing, so we’re waiting for this area to settle just a bit before we embark upon any book work in this area. Hold tight — we’ll be updating you on our AR and VR book content as soon as we can!
And there’s one last thing we wanted to tell you — we also have a ton of great titles coming up later this year!
A Sneak Peek at What’s Coming!
Year after year, we’ve offered you great first edition titles in iOS, Swift, Android and Kotlin, and the coming year is no exception!
You’ll have the chance to level up your skills with Flutter and Dart, bring accessibility to your Android apps, get started with SwiftUI, go deeper with Swift, learn dependency injection with Dagger, build fluid UI with Jetpack Compose, and become a deployment master on both iOS and Android!
Here’s what you can look forward to:
- Flutter Apprentice: Android developers and iOS developers alike are taking to Flutter, Google’s UI toolkit that will help you create attractive, natively compiled apps for multiple platforms using a single codebase. This book will take you through everything you need to know to get started!
- Dart Apprentice: Begin object-oriented programming in the Dart language and learn language-based fundamentals like expressions, functions, variables, classes, asynchronous programming and more!
- Advanced Swift: So you know Swift fundamentals – now what? Deepen your knowledge as an advanced developer with concepts such as semantics, protocols, algorithms, strings, custom sequences, reactive programming and more!
- Jetpack Compose: Let us guide you through Android’s suite of libraries to help you follow all the best practices, including working with your UI, building lists, creating custom composables, managing state, animating properties and more!
- Android Accessibility: Our author, Victoria Gonda, said it best: Any responsible app today is thinking about accessibility. This book will teach you to get your Android app in the hands of more users by implementing critical accessibility features.
- App Design Apprentice: In this beginner-level book for non-designers, we’ll guide you through designing modern mobile-app UI and UX using fundamental design principles. This book is currently available for pre-order.
- Dagger by Tutorials: Take a deep dive into dependency injection on Android with Dagger and Hilt, including design principles, injection, modules, components and more!
- Publishing to the App Store: You’ve finished building your app — now what? Learn about entitlements, release configurations, troubleshooting code signing, and leveraging internal and TestFlight distribution of your app to your testing teams. This book will take you through all the fundamentals, as well as managing your app after it is published.
- Publishing to the Google Play Store: Your Android app is done, but what else do you need to take care of besides uploading it to the Play Store? This book covers internal and external distribution, managing testing, best practices for security and permissions, optimizing app size and obfuscating your APK, automation tools and more.
- Real-World Android by Tutorials: Level up your professional development skills in Android by building a real-world app from top to bottom, including animations, UI lifecycles, dynamic features, and security.
- SwiftUI Apprentice: New to iOS app development, and want to build your UI the modern way using SwiftUI? This book will guide you in building your iOS apps from the ground up, Apple’s solution to making fluid and engaging declarative UI for your apps.
Where to Go From Here?
There’s a super-charged year of new and updated content for you to experience in 2020 and beyond.
Want to stay updated on all of our book news? Subscribe to our free raywenderlich.com Weekly newsletter to be notified about all the great new books coming out in the next few months.
We’re excited about all of the updates and new books coming this year — we hope you will love them as as much as we love creating them for you!